At any time during the year a property owner may apply for Disabled Veteran property tax exemption. Applications are made to the Assessor, and must be applied for as soon as all the requirements have been met. The exemption will only apply to the current year and future years. Property tax exemption will be granted, as long as all of the following requirements are met, and the supplemental paperwork is supplied:
Must be a citizen and resident of New Jersey as of October 1st of the pretax year.
- Hold legal title to the property for which the deduction is claimed as of October 1st of the pretax year.
- Must reside in dwelling house as of October 1st of the pretax year.
- Deceased Veteran must have had active wartime service in the United States Armed Service and have been honorably discharged or died on active wartime duty.
- United States Veteran Administration certification of 100% wartime service-connected disability.
- Deceased Veteran must have been a citizen and resident of New Jersey at the time of death.
- Applicant has not remarried.
To print an application for the Surviving Spouse of a Disabled Veteran Property Tax Exemption click on the following link: http://oprs.co.monmouth.nj.us/oprs/includes/pdf/dvsse.pdf
All applicants must supply the following paperwork:
- Verification of Citizenship and Residency (Copy of Driver’s License, Voter’s registration, or Vehicle registration)
- Verification of wartime service (Form DD214)
- Verification of Disability (United States Veteran Administration certification.)
- Marriage Certificate
- Death Certificate