At any time during the year a property owner may apply for a Widow of a Veteran property tax deduction. Applications are made to the Assessor, and must be applied for by December 31 of the tax year in which it is claimed. A deduction of $250 will be granted, as long as all of the following State of New Jersey requirements are met, and the supplemental paperwork is supplied:
- Must be a citizen and resident of New Jersey as of October 1st of the pretax year.
- Hold legal title to the property for which the deduction is claimed as of October 1st of the pretax year.
- Deceased Veteran must have had active wartime service in the United States Armed Service and have been honorably discharged or died on active wartime duty.
- Deceased Veteran must have been a citizen and resident of New Jersey at the time of death.
- Applicant has not remarried.
To print an application for the Surviving Spouse ofVeteran Property Tax Deduction click on the following link: http://oprs.co.monmouth.nj.us/oprs/includes/pdf/vss.pdf
All applicants must supply the following paperwork:
- Verification of Citizenship and Residency (Copy of Driver’s License, Voter’s registration, or Vehicle registration)
- Verification of wartime service (Form DD214)(if not already supplied)
- Marriage certificate
- Death certificate